Linking my domain name to WordPress.com
In our blog, we already briefly explain to you the difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com. Since WordPress.com’s hosting is in-house, you therefore do not need a web hosting package with Hosting.NL. In fact, it runs on WordPress.com’s servers. You can request a free package on a wordpress.com domain that then has ads on it, or you can run your website on your own domain name. You can register this domain name with any hosting provider and it does not necessarily have to run at WordPress.com.
Did you register your domain name with Hosting.NL? Then follow the steps below to link your domain name to your WordPress.com website.
- You must have a subscription with WordPress.com to link your own domain name to your website
- When you add your domain name, the URL to all your posts and pages changes. Visitors will be automatically redirected by WordPress.com, but third-party services such as Facebook use the URL to measure activity. As a result, existing counts may be reset to 0. This does not affect future posts.
- With a custom domain, your website is still hosted on WordPress.com and you must still follow their terms of service
- You do not have FTP access
Domain name linking
- Log in to WordPress.com
- Access the domain page through ‘My Site’ -> ‘Manage’ -> ‘Domains’
- Click on ‘Add domain’
- Select the ‘Use a domain I own’ option
- Click on ‘Assign your domain’
- Enter your own domain name and click ‘Add’
- Continue the steps in the shopping cart
- You can now link your domain name through My Hosting to WordPress.com
You can link this in 2 ways(change nameservers or change DNS at Hosting).
Tip: We recommend using the way below.
- Log in to My Hosting
- Now click on directly in the Dashboard on ‘Domain Names’
Or in the top menu on ‘Domain Names’ -> ‘My Domain Names’
- In the overview, click on the three horizontal dots and on “DNS Management
- Change the A record to the IP address listed at WordPress.com
- Now change the CNAME record WWW to the CNAME record of WordPress.com
You can look up this data in your WordPress.com account
- Finally, in the WordPress.com portal, you can still set your new domain name as the primary domain